3/27/11

Of Sanity and Apple Pie

Okay, I confess.

I'm not really a mother of four...yet. I'm about two months away from that title. But given that the bun in my oven is going to join our family really really soon, I might as well get used to the idea of being a Mother of Four.

Mother of Four. At this day and age. Sometimes the thought just scares me to absolute denial. No, this is not happening. No, I'm not going to go through the whole gestational diabetes shebang all over again. But, when I feel my baby kick and squirm and be a little alien inside, and think of the fun I have with my three other munchkins, I can't help but feel a little (no, a lot) excited. Never mind that I do have gestational diabetes (again!). Never mind that I have to prick myself before and after every meal. Never mind that I need to go on a strict diet to watch my sugar...no, wait...that, I DO mind. So let's just say I'm glad that I've got only two months to go before I pop this monkey out.

Which brings me to today. Because I cannot eat the food I want, I have subjected myself to reading about it online. Yes, it's the masochist in me. And today, I saw a luscious apple pie. And I knew that I just needed to bake it (if not eat it). So, I set off to the kitchen, grabbed the apples from my stash of fruit, and started peeling.

And my eight year old daughter walks in. And she wants to help. So, she gets the task of slicing all the apples. And while she's happily slicing away, I realize that she's growing up. She's changing. And all of a sudden, I'm extremely happy that I'm about to be a mother of four.

1 comment:

  1. Grabe! Hannah is 8??? When did that happen??? I hate how they grow so fast. I don't mind time going fast during the day on most days...but I do hate that it means it's a day closer to the kiddies' next year. Hay. Savor the moments. And yes, a new baby is simply JOY. I squish Sophia whenever I can and smother her with hugs and kisses as often as possible in the hopes that she will stay tiny and forever in this magic baby phase. -Marts.

    ReplyDelete