3/31/11

Survival Mode

My days are numbered.

Literally.

With my delivery date inching closer, and the impending move looming, every day is marked with lists that bear the tasks that need to be accomplished. I have gone through these lists like a crazed obsessive-compulsive woman, noting where I have lagged behind and ticking off what has been done.

The list only grows longer.

I have gone to the mall to buy baby items because I foolishly thought that I was done and sold practically everything my little boy would have needed. I have gone shoe shopping with Hannah, who's in between sizes so it's impossible to find her anything. I have emptied cabinets and drawers. Sorted through toys and clothing. Packed away non-essentials. Earmarked what is to be sold or donated. Bought items so I don't have to leave the apartment when we move (but I'm sure this can only be wishful thinking on my part). And, I have spent time visiting my doctors for my check ups.

My days have been crazy. And that's putting it mildly.

A major saving grace at this point is heading off to the kitchen to bake. There's nothing like taking butter and sugar and mixing it up with a range of ingredients to come up with a yummy treat. The sound of my Kitchen Aid is so comforting to me because I know that in time, I can sink my teeth into a reward of sorts. Of course, I have come to terms with the fact that I can't eat what I make at this point for the sake of regulating my blood sugar, but when I am most fatigued, I think I deserve a break and sneak a bite or two of what was baked (don't tell my endocrinologist!).

So, what have I nibbled on recently?


These crisp, orange chocolate chip oatmeal cookies are enough for me to survive another day.

Orange-Walnut Chippers

1/2c APF
1/4t b. soda
1/4t salt
1/2c butter
1c packed light b. sugar
1 large egg
1T orange peel
1 1/2c old fashioned oats
1c chocolate chips
1/2c walnuts

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease cookie sheets.

Combine flour, b. soda and salt in a bowl.

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and orange peel. Add flour mixture. Scrape down bowl.

Stir in oats with a mixing spoon. Add chips and nuts.

Drop teaspoonfuls of dough 2 inches apart. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove cookies and cool on a rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment