5/25/11

Countdown

I guess my first clue should have been the exclamations of "you're soo biiig!" by good friends, many of whom I have not seen in quite a while. Ah, no. Erase that. My first clue should have been when I measured my waistline about a week and a half ago and gasped at the sight of the number 40, in inches, burning itself in my eyes. I now have a 40 inch waistline! Ye gads. I knew I was big, but didn't realize I was that big.

But, then again, I have been ignoring the not so subtle signs of my ready-to-pop-ness. Random people have been drawn to my belly, and have been compelled to ask me when I was due. Today? Tomorrow? And I've had my share of concern thrown my way...be careful... stay in bed!...that's too heavy, ako na....

And, when my Beacon friends got together a few nights ago to celebrate a birthday and send off some peers, my belly got its fair share of attention. A rub or two. A sugar bowl balanced on top of it. Some pictures. And the question: when are you due? To which my reply of next week drew some shock.

Next week. I never thought I'd get to this point. June 2. On this day next week, I will be checking in the hospital, getting ready to welcome little Raul to the family. (And the way he's been tormenting kicking me recently, its as if he feels the urgency to join us as well.) Just a few more days of holding on. A few more days of discomfort. A few more days to get my act together before I am rendered completely useless by my family, except for a little boy to whom I will be at his beck and call.

And once this happens, I know that the chain of events will start rolling, and there will be no stopping it. Until I find myself in settling Singapore in less than two months' time.

I can't wait.

Let the countdown begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment