4/2/11

A Happy Place

Everyone has a happy place. You know, a place you can retreat to when life gets too crazy. A place where you can be yourself and just breathe. A place where you can find comfort after a maddening day. For many, its a favorite bookstore where one can explore new titles, settle into a comfy chair and leaf through crisp pages, undisturbed. For others, it's a favorite coffee shop, where the warmth of a cup, the aroma of the beans, and the buzz of caffeine ease the senses.

My happy place used to be the grocery. Yes, I found comfort among the rows of canned items, packages of pasta, and cookies and chips. I loved going through the produce section, checking out what's fresh, what's available, and what would be good thrown into a pot. I loved coming across a rare find at the grocery. (And if I were in S&R with a friend, I loved splitting a hot dog and digging into a humongous cup of butter pecan blue bunny ice cream.)

I have temporarily lost my happy place. No, the grocery stores I love haven't burned down to the ground. My GM (gestational diabetes) has just gotten in the way. There's no way to enjoy checking out cookies I can't eat, pasta I can't cook, and chips I can't smother with dip. Flavor of the month? Forget it. I can't have that until June. Juices? Ha. Can't have that too, not unless its unsweetened and less than 2 grams of sugar per serving. The grocery has now become a chore. I've lost my happy place and I needed to find a replacement fast.

Enter Mothercare in GB5. Ohwhatahappyplace you are! I remember entering it maybe a year ago, and found everything oh so cute, but oh so expensive. So being the kuripot I am, put it out of my mind and moved on. When I reentered it on a whim last week, in search of baby clothes for my little boy coming soon, I was pleasantly surprised to discover the great finds in that store. And I ab-so-lutely fell in love with the colors, the fabrics, and the adorable designs. Onesies in different sizes and colors and designs. Little jeans and shorts. Shirts and polos. Baby socks and shoes. Blankets. Did I mention the onesies?? I could stay in there for hours and be totally content just to be surrounded with such cuteness!! The place gets me every time. I leave with a purchase or two, and I swear, my little boy will be so cutely dressed beginning from the time I take him home.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I loved shopping for baby stuff when my three stooges were little! So glad you found a replacement happy place, Ceci!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad that the Blue-Bunny-and-hotdog-days are numbered, my friend. Wish that we could have gotten out more when we had the time. :-( But everytime you guys swing by Manila, be sure to call ...

    ReplyDelete