4/19/11

Mealtime Battles

As much as I love my little soon-to-be-five-year-old, I absolutely despise his being The Ultimate Picky Eater. And yes, if there was a picky eater contest, I would let him compete without batting an eyelash. Because I know he'd win. Hands down.

My little picky eater has such a limited list of approved food:

1. Bread. Normally smeared with butter, occasionally peanut butter, or better yet, his favorite, Nutella (when he is able to waggle a bottle from doting grandparents). Can be made into french toast that will eventually be smothered in syrup.

2. Pasta. The only pasta he puts in his mouth is pancit canton, his preference being the instant variety, much to my dismay. Spaghetti noodles need to be negotiated: with sauce or without?

3. Protein consists of the fried variety, battered or coated in flour or breadcrumbs, which provides that necessary crunch or "skin" that he neatly peels off and devours first. Whatever protein left, again, is subject to negotiation. How many bites? Only these pieces...

4. Milk. Has to be the chocolate variety, and this cannot be negotiated. White milk will be friends with chocolate syrup.

5. Fruit. Bananas only; saba not included.

6. Vegetables. What vegetables do you speak of? He'll only eat the kaki-age in japanese restos because they're fried. French fries are NOT vegetables.

7. Pancakes. He can live on these. Oh, and there must be chocolate chips in the batter.

8. Taho. He has this as a snack, or for breakfast if he's running late for school.

9. Snacks consist of chips, peanuts, chocolate, cookies and other sweet treats.


As I make this list, I am embarrassed and dismayed. How did I let these bad eating habits last for so long?? Oh, I know...its because I have let my fear of my kid losing weight and getting sick due to lack of sustenance get the better of me. I have allowed lapses in his meals to slide. I have let my little four year old dictate his eating patterns.

I've been remiss as a mommy.

So, tonight, hubby and I regrouped and had a hopefully not too late Mattie's Nutrition discussion. And now he's on new management. For a week (this is testing the waters), there will be no snacks coming his way. And no bread. He will have to eat rice and pasta, and try the food (and fruit) that's on the table. If he refuses to eat, then he goes hungry until the next meal. It's cold turkey time.

I don't know if I'm doing the right thing...if I'm being fair to a four year old who's so set in his ways. People tell me that he'll learn to eat when he's ready. Others say cold turkey is the way to go. I've waited for him to be ready, and I don't know if he'll ever be. But, I don't know if this cold turkey bit will traumatize him. I don't know who'll have it worse...Mattie or me.

I. Don't. Know.

So, consider this a shout out to the universe. A little wisdom and experience would be good right about now.

3 comments:

  1. you know i think he WILL learn to eat when he's ready. in the meantime, just continue to offer him a variety of healthier foods. have you tried giving him edamame (my kids love edamame) and fruit yogurt (better yet, fresh fruits in plain yogurt)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Susan, am at the end of my rope. Yes, I give him edamame when I find it; he considers it like peanuts. Yogurt has been spurned. He is such a challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. he'll come around, ces. just keep exposing him to different kinds of good food and let him see you and the rest of the family enjoying them! nacho doesn't eat salad greens, but it's served here at home so often that he's started to say "that looks sooo good and smells sooo good!" though he still won't eat it, i know he will eventually! (he's 8) and asha, every time she smells coffee (which we brew everyday at home), wants to drink it. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete